Apply for UK Global Health Insurance Card:
The UK Global Health Insurance Card is also called in short form of GHIC. What it does? it can provide you state for healthcare in the Europe for free or sometimes it may cost little. This specific card is valid till the last date of it’s validity. There is another Health Insurance Card, that is also UK based. The card is UK European Health Insurance Card. If you have this card, you can use it until it get’s expire. If you don’t have, you can apply for it, if your card is expired, then you can also apply for it, after expiry of the previous card. According to UK official website, they say that “GHIC and EHIC do not replace travel insurance”.
Use your UK Global Health Insurance Card:
The question is, where can you use this card? You can use these cards in any European country. It is valid for all Europe. But that will not be used in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland. These countries will require proper travel insurance with healthcare cover. But if you have any emergency situation, then you can use your UK passport to get healthcare in Norway.
How to Apply for UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC):
It’s quite easy and free to apply for UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). Don’t go any other website to get help for these cards. They will charge you for their services, that are already easy and free to apply. All you need to do is to provide your details that are listed below:
- Your Full Name:
- Your Address:
- Date of Birth:
- Your National Insurance or NHS Number (England and Wales)
- Your CHI number, if you are in Scotland.
- If you are in Northern Ireland, then Health and Care number is required.
How to Apply for UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
This is a question, that what, am I entitle to apply for UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) ? This card can be use in Norway and other countries that we have already stated above for healthcare problems. Below are conditions national wise to apply UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are as follow.
- The nationals from the European Union (EU). living in the UK before 1st January, 2021 with or without their families. Like Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
- The British National Pensioners living in the EU before 1st January, 2021 with or without their families in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
- The students of UK living in the EU countries before 1st January, 2021, like Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
What if you already have an existing EHIC:
If you already have an existing EHIC card then you are entitled to use it until it’s expiry date arrive. But it is recommended to apply your new card 6 months before your old card ‘s expiry date. This is because currently the process of UK European Health Insurance Card is taking longer than normal time. This is happening due to heavy demand and high volume of applications they are receiving everyday. It is our recommendation to keep this thing in your mind to apply before six months of expiry and keep an eye on your existing card expiry date. If you have forgotten to apply for new card before the time limits, then you have another option to apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate.
Where can use UK Global Health Insurance Card
Using this card is easy, if you are outside of UK and visiting an EU country. In those countries, if you are in situation of medically necessary healthcare (means healthcare that cannot reasonably wait until you come back to the UK). In that situation you can use that card will cover your medical needs.
- What Medically Necessary HealthCare Needs?
- The Medically necessary healthcare may include somethings that you need to understand. These are as follows:
- Any emergency treatment and visits to A&E
- Any pre-existing medical condition or you want any medical treatment for a longer term.
- Routine medical checkup or treatment need monitoring by medical staff for pre-existing condition
- Your routine checkup for maternity care, if you are pregnant and need care.
- You need oxygen treatment or your kidney dialysis related matters.
Is UK Global Health Insurance Card covers all treatments?
Some treatments need to be pre-arranged with the relevant healthcare provider or clinic in the premises of that country you are going to visit. This may include, chemotherapy or dialysis. Keep this thing in your mind that all healthcare is not free or fully covered with this card. They may charge you some percentage or a full fee of their services. Your insurance card is not a substitute of travel insurance. These cards do not cover the quarantine in any country of EU. The quarantine period in hotels will be solely your own and that will not treated as medical situation. But if you need any medical treatment during quarantine period, then the UK government will fund for the medical treatment required in certain conditions.
These Health insurance Cards are more likely suitable for emergency healthcare situation. You are advised to have your travel insurance too, so that you would be able to cover yourself completely. In some situation, you are abroad and you don’t have your healthcare insurance card, then what you can do? what is the solution? The solution as stated above, you can apply for provisional replacement certificate.
Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC):
If you are abroad and you don’t have any health insurance card, then you can apply for Provisional Replacement certificate (PRC) to prove your entitlement to medically necessary healthcare, if you are in EU country. The provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) is similar to GHIC / EHIC and it covers all the things that are under these cards. If you want to apply for Provisional Replacement Certificate then you need to provide things that are listed below:
National Insurance Number:
Date of Birth:
Treatment facility name:
email address of specific department providing treatment:
There are some other EU countries like: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. You can use UK GHIC in all these countries with ease of mind. If you are eligible to get UK GHIC, then you can apply for UK GHIC. The criteria is as under:
- if you are living in the UK legally and you don’t have health cover provided by an EU country.
- If you are living in EU with S1, E121, E106 or E109 status issued by the UK.
- you are living in EU with a document of A1 issued by UK.
- If you are a dependent or a family member of individual who is entitled already.
Any one condition met above , you can apply for this card. If you think that you are entitled to apply for this card, and you are residing outside of UK or even in the UK, then take benefit of this card and healthcare. In any emergency healthcare situation, you can use this card with ease of mind. Please like us on Facebook.